Micro Teach 1: Reflection

Demonstration and Set Induction

Reflect on your experience presenting a task to your peers. What were your concerns before the experience? What were your thoughts during the teaching experience? After? Explain.

Prior to the experience, my only real concern was time management. When I get on a roll, I can and have turned 7 minute presentations into almost 20, which was certainly something I’m glad I did not do in this lesson. I have assisted in teaching a golf course (no pun intended) to elementary, middle, and high school students and therefore had nothing to be nervous about. While teaching, I was able to follow Karen’s golf putt lesson and decided to change up the way that I had intended to describe the skill and activity. I tried to take what I felt she had done well and what she had lacked and use that information to my advantage. After the fact, one student had mentioned that I was talking too fast, which has always been a problem of mine. I only hope I was clear and understandable as I attempted to maximize the amount of time with as much participation as possible.

List the specific teaching cues that you provided your learners. Also describe how effective the cues were to enhance student learning.

I know that my cues were effective because a number of students had provided in the feedback that the humor associated with them eased the pressure of performance and enhanced their ability to remember the steps to putting. Specifically, the cues were “reeling in the big one” (two hands on the club), “perfect triangle” (feet squared, ball in front of body in the middle of feet), “be a slouch” (relax the body and let the arms and shoulders hang loose, and my favorite, “mogwai” (gremlins hated bright lights so keep your head down and eyes focused on the ball).

Describe areas for improvement in relationship to your ability to demonstrate a psychomotor task.

Areas for improvement would have to include my communication and pacing myself. I need to be able to acknowledge the fact that I am simply moving much too fast and will most likely lose students along the way. I know that because of the brief time constraint I was limited and did not demonstrate the task to the best of my ability. I wanted students to become active as soon as possible and I think I may have been rushing myself on that as well. Had I slowed down, students could have seen my positioning and motions better and as a result had a better understanding of the task.

From your textbook and lecture notes list and explain ‘rules’ for a good demonstration.

A good demonstration should be done accurately from multiple angles such that all students are able to see with a clear explanation of what is happening with the body and what the outcome should be. If we are taught to do a skill wrong, we will practice wrong. If we can not see or understand a skill, it is nearly impossible to be certain we are performing the skill accurately.
From your text and lecture notes describe ‘rules’ in developing and providing teaching cues.
The rules for forming teaching cues for development are simple. Keep the cues short and sweet with easily memorable words or phrases that apply meaning to the most significant aspects of the skill that will be remembered easily. Cues should also be age appropriate, which means I should not have learned to keep my head down in putting by pretending there was an imaginary string from my neck to my private area that would hurt real bad if I picked my head up too soon. Thanks, Coach.

Explain the set induction. Provide an example of a set induction for the task that you presented.

The set induction is the orientation of the class in which the teacher informs of the day’s activities and what the student can expect from the lesson. This may or may not include the “how to do” of the skill. I presented the golf putt. An example may be discussing when the putt would be used, how to putt, why putting is necessary, and the conditions of the putting environment.